From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Relicensing sys-freebsd/* under the BSD-2 license
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 17:35:51
1 On Fri, 30 Mar 2012 12:34:26 -0400
2 Richard Yao <ryao@×××××××××××××.edu> wrote:
3
4 > I wrote sys-freebsd/virtio-kmod (bug 410199) while studying
5 > Gentoo/FreeBSD as part of an attempt to port gptzfsloader to Gentoo
6 > Linux. naota wrote an improvement that would be useful to send
7 > upstream. However, the GPL-2 license poses a problem according to
8 > conversations that I had in #gentoo-dev.
11 if he wrote the improvement, he can send it upstream under whatever
12 license he wants; generally, it is implicit that a patch follows the
13 same license as the code it applies to, esp. when the author himself
14 agrees to share it with upstream.
15
16 > While I have asked naota for permission to upstream the line he wrote,
17 > this poses a more general issue for collaboration, especially if I
18 > port more kernel modules from FreeBSD Ports.
19 >
20 > Would it be possible to relicense sys-freebsd/* under terms of the
21 > BSD-2 license?
24 what do you mean by 'relicense' ? for ebuilds, you'll have to ask
25 permission to all contributors to this area, and, afaik, the foundation
26 owns copyrights so it has a word to say too.
27 if you mean the 'LICENSE' field of ebuilds, then this is not the right
28 place to ask.
29
30 A.