From: Stephan Feder <sf@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: JRE support - is it worth it?
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 09:36:06
1 Dylan Carlson wrote:
2 ...
3 > 1. Gentoo is a source-based distribution. We have Java-based packages
4 > that build from source for the same reason that have C packages that build
5 > from source. Yet, it's unthinkable to have a system without a C compiler.
6 > Thus it should be almost as unthinkable to have a system without a Java
7 > compiler.
8 ...
9
10 Dylan,
11
12 you only need a compiler on a build host, not on a host that runs the
13 compiled software.
14
15 So, aside from the build host, you only need the jdk for packages like
16 tomcat, and the typical requirements of Java packages would be something
17 like
18
19 RDEPEND="virtual/jre-1.4"
20 DEPEND="virtual/jdk-1.4"
21
22 Mind: This does not touch the question of whether Java packages should
23 be compiled at all. For the sake of argument I was just assuming they
24 were.
25
26 Regards,
27 Stephan