From: "Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò" <flameeyes@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] combining x86 and amd64
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 17:30:42
1 On Thursday 01 September 2005 19:10, Grant Goodyear wrote:
2 > Now that we have a new council that (I hope) will be active in approving
3 > or rejecting GLEPs, perhaps someone should be writing a GLEP about
4 > combining x86 and amd64?
5 I hope this not. As (iirc) I already said, it's impossible to combine x86 with
6 anything else that's not 100% source and binary compatible with itself...
7 The reason is actually simple: x86 is, or at least was, the reference
8 architecture for almost all programmers.
9 There are too many packages that works *just* on x86, both at source and
10 binary level.
11 Using a single keyword would make us unable to mark for example helixplayer
12 (source) x86 and -amd64 at the same time (as it's now).
13 While it can be simple to do for sparc or ppc that has relatively less users,
14 and with no need for binary compatibility for -bin packages, it's probably
15 going to be a *great* pain for both users AND developers of x86 and amd64
16 platforms (most probably for the latter, as x86 has basically no needs for
17 multilib and so on).
18
19 Please don't do that.
22 Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò
23 Gentoo Developer - http://dev.gentoo.org/~flameeyes/
24 (Gentoo/FreeBSD, Video, Gentoo/AMD64, Sound, PAM)