From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: USE=libav as replacement for broken || ( libav:= ffmpeg:= )
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2015 09:49:13
1 On Thu, 22 Jan 2015 09:06:39 -0800
2 Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> wrote:
3
4 [...]
5 > > That's what I understand from Michał's comment (quoting him):
6 > >
7 > >> 1. if you have dynamic-deps enabled, portage will want to install
8 > >> both ffmpeg (because of :=) and libav (because of ||). The
9 > >> effective deps will look like:
10 > >>
11 > >> || ( ffmpeg:0/51= libav ) ffmpeg:0/51=
14 > > As I understand it, portage (correctly) marks this package for
15 > > rebuild (because ffmpeg:0/51= dep isn't satisfied anymore), but I
16 > > don't get why it doesn't consider the original '|| ( ffmpeg:=
17 > > libav:= )' dep for the depgraph and wants to pull ffmpeg in
18 > > "because of :=".
19 >
20 > It does consider the original dep. However, it also uses various
21 > heuristics when making choices for || deps, and the fact that an
22 > instance of ffmpeg is currently installed is taken into account in the
23 > heuristics.
24
25 good then; i'm assuming: people have ffmpeg installed and built a
26 package 'foo' with || ( ffmpeg:= libav:= ); now, he removes ffmpeg,
27 installs libav (put it in world), and masks ffmpeg (shouldnt be needed
28 since it blocks libav but may hint portage solver).
29
30 what Michał claims is that 'foo' will want ffmpeg, no matter what. how
31 can it be possible if 'foo' is slatted for rebuild ? or maybe it is
32 that portage does not slat it for rebuild (dynamic deps or not) ? how
33 can it force to install ffmpeg then ?
34
35 Alexis.