From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Questions (qt3, kde3, and misc) - please answer
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2001 12:50:59
1 Hi all,
2
3 My questions remain unanswered, probably because they're in a thread called
4 "final qt/QTDIR scheme". So I'm reposting here. This is a better verion of
5 the questions anyway.
6
7 0. How do I define a dependency lilke
8 3.0.0>x11-libs/qt-x11>=2.3.1-r2
9 Since qt major versions are api-incompatible, I ned a specific major version
10 and a >= for a minor version. Hope I'm making myself clear :-)
11
12 I could make two deps:
13 <x11-libs/qt-x11-3.0.0
14 >=x11-libs/qt-x11-2.3.1-r2
15
16 But the first could be satisfied by 2.2 and the second by 3.0 and I wouldn't
17 get the right thing.
18
19 I remember reading comments in portage.py about "*" dependencies, when are
20 they coming?
21
22 What should I do for now?
23
24 1. If I do set
25 DEPEND=">=x11-libs/qt-x11-2.3.1-r1 <x11-libs/qt-x11-3.0.0_beta6"
26 then, emerge will emerge both these packages, each for the other's
27 dependency. It is not smart enouh to see that the deps can be satisfied with
28 just one. This is a little off topic, just a note.
29
30 2. If I do succeed in making such dependencies, should I (via eclasses)
31 require all kde/qt apps to depend on >=qt-x11-2.3.1-r2, which is the current
32 revision and is the one that introduces the new QTDIR coexistence scheme?
33
34 Many people probably have qt 2.3.0 or 2.2.3 installed, which in fact fulfill
35 the kde dependencies. And if they are forced to go from 2.2.x to 2.3.x
36 they'll have to recompile all of their kde/qt apps, as the revisions are not
37 binary compatible. Of course, with the new scheme, I can easily have 2.2 and
38 2.3 revision coexist as well. Should I? That would mean manually emerging the
39 new revision of the qt version you already have, as the old revisions aren't
40 coexistence-compatible.
41
42 2.5. Should I make everyone upgrade to the new revision of qt2.x before
43 emerging qt3.x? And if I should, how?
44 If they don't upgrade, I cannot guarantee successful emerging of anything
45 qt-dependant.
46
47 3. The decision has been taken not to include pre-final kde (and qt) versions
48 in portage, not even masked. However, many people are likely to be interested
49 in the upcoming kde3 ebuilds (kde3-alpha1 was released recently; the ebuilds
50 will be ready as soon as this qt thing is finished). On person has already
51 asked me for copies of these ebuilds, others may as well. Suggestions for
52 placing and distributing them? (Before you suggest it, I don't have a site).
53
54 4. A question for the FHS experts: what is the right place to install
55 secondary (or equal) copies of KDE? Only one copy can live in /usr, as the
56 filenames don't change between releases. /opt/kdeX.Y?
60 Dan Armak
61 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop Team
62 Matan, Israel