From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: My masterplan for git migration (+ looking for infra to test it)
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 20:49:50
1 On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 4:18 PM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Can't we just kill rsync then? The whole ChangeLog seems to take more
4 > effort than the actual benefit it gives.
7 I'm not sure ditching rsync entirely is necessary - it might be more
8 trouble than it is worth as it is a very effective simple way to
9 distribute the tree. However, I'm not really opposed to it either.
10
11 However, I do really question whether we need changelogs in rsync. It
12 seems like many projects are going away from these - or doing what the
13 kernel is doing and just dumping a git log into them. I don't think
14 we need to try to shoehorn the old changelogs into our git history -
15 I'd just leave them in the tree for migration and then prune then
16 post-migration.
17
18 Oh, in case it is useful to know, a full historical git bundle is
19 about 1.2GB, and a clone+checkout of the bundle uses about 2.1GB of
20 space. A compressed cvs tarball with the full history is about 575MB
21 in comparison, though I see it has grown by about 50MB in the last six
22 months. Bottom line is that non-shallow checkouts will need a decent
23 amount of space. Then again, my tmpfs /usr/portage uses 735M just by
24 itself.
27 Rich