From: Michael Palimaka <kensington@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Remember to specify SLOT when adding subslot operator to dependencies
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2013 15:01:08
1 On 5/08/2013 21:58, Samuli Suominen wrote:
2 > On 05/08/13 13:56, Michael Palimaka wrote:
3 >> On 5/08/2013 19:33, Samuli Suominen wrote:
4 >>> This is a friendly reminder.
5 >>>
6 >>> I've found the tree again to have dependencies like:
7 >>>
8 >>> dev-libs/openssl:=
9 >>> virtual/jpeg:=
10 >>
11 >> Is there any reason for the subslot operator being specified at all? I
12 >> don't see those packages defining any subslots.
13 >
14 > You don't need to see it, because portage sets implicit subslot /0 in
15 > EAPI="5" so it's there, even if you don't see it.
16 > Then when it's changed (= set), the effect is same.
17 >
18 > - Samuli
23 Even though the subslot is implicit, is that any reason to still use the
24 operator? We don't know what the maintainer's future intentions for the
25 subslot will be.
26 For example, we caused many useless rebuilds with poppler because
27 dependants added the subslot operator without consideration (many
28 packages link only against one of the stable interface libraries, rather
29 than the main library for which the subslot was intended).