From: "Carnevale
To: "'gentoo-dev@g.o'" <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] FW: [gentoo-user] emerge update --world - solution
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2002 17:50:29
1 From: Carnevale, Jason [mailto:jcarnevale@×××××××.net]
2 Sent: Monday, April 01, 2002 2:07 PM
3 To: 'gentoo-user@g.o'
4 Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] emerge update --world - solution
5
6 I have portage 1.8.8 installed, since that shows up as the latest version
7 available with emerge I will assume that it is masked ( I will confirm
8 this). I am able to do a world update using " emerge --world update" using
9 --pretend gives me a nice list of things that need updating. Since this is
10 an older portage the /var/cache/edb/world file is not there. I am trying to
11 find the file my version of protage is using to determine what is installed
12 in the system. I want to lock a few packages at the version they are at and
13 install the rest. How can I do this with 1.8.8, without going to 1.8.9,
14 problem with upgrading portage first is that it will not create a world file
15 based on what I have installed prior to going to 1.8.9.
16
17 Thanks,
18
19 Jason
22 -----Original Message-----
23 From: Ian Smith [mailto:ian.c.smith@××××××××××.com]
24 Sent: Monday, April 01, 2002 12:37 PM
25 To: gentoo-user@g.o
26 Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge update --world - solution
27
28 Thilo Bangert wrote:
29 >>
30 > no - but portage 1.8.9 uses a different (far supirior) method of
31 > determing world updates...
32 >
33 > when you install a package the package gets added to a file storing all
34 > locally installed packages... emerge then goes through this list to
35 > determine what packages should be updated, when doing emerge --update
36 > world
37 > as you have not installed any packages using the new portage, the list
38 > is empty an thus there is nothing to update
39 >
40 > the correct method for my hack would be to write a converter script,
41 > which builds the new world-update database from the already installed
42 > packages... i'll have a look at that later today...
45 I did:
46 pkglist >/var/cache/edb/world
47 but still get nothing to upgrade.
48
49 BTW the portage guide is still inconsistent regarding whether world or
50 update gets the '--' !!!!
54 Ian Smith
56
58 gentoo-user mailing list