From: Josh Saddler <nightmorph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Optional Package Dependencies for netscape-flash -> libflashsupport
Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 00:50:52
1 Ryan Hill wrote:
2 > net-www/netscape-flash-9.0.31.0 USE="libflashsupport -debug"
3 > media-lib/libflashsupport-1.2 USE="esd gnutls oss pulseaudio ssl"
4 >
5 > is the right way to do it.
6
7 Absolutely! I was about to post the same thing -- put some kind of use
8 on netscape-flash to pull in libflashsupport if desired, and then just
9 keep the standard USE flags on libflashsupport to setup the kind of
10 functionality wanted by the user.
11
12 Forcing a depend on libflashsupport unconditionally is just plain
13 stupid; there is no possible justification for it. netscape-flash has
14 gone without such silly dependencies for some time, as it really does
15 work just fine without them. :)
16
17 (FWIW, I've never needed any kind of weird extra functionality not found
18 in Flash itself; OSS and ESD are both the spawn of the devil!)