From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] repoman --nonag (was Re: gentoo-x86 tree cleanup for 'DESCRIPTION ends with a '.' character' warnings )
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2014 17:46:55
1 On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 01:25:44PM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 1:13 PM, Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o> wrote:
3 > >
4 > > I don't consider a recommended style message to be 'broken' just
5 > > because it's not listed in the devmanual/PMS/etc as a requirement.
6 > > The implementation of it, on the other hand, yes that could be broken
7 > > and in this case should be fixed if we keep the check around.
10 > If we are bothered enough by something to have repoman check it, we
11 > can be bothered enough to add it to the devmanual.
12
13 I also think "that something" should be added to the devmanual before it
14 is added to repoman so that developers aren't blind-sided by repoman
15 warnings like this.
18 > I think we need to decide whether we care about periods at the ends of
19 > DESCRIPTIONs. If we do, then it should be a warning and devs should
20 > fix their ebuilds at the next convenient opportunity. If we don't,
21 > then let's just drop the warning.
22
23 I think some will have periods and some won't depending on how the
24 description is written, so this warning is not one that should stay.
25
26 William