From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: tetromino@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: news item for sys-apps/systemd -> /usr migration
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2012 09:24:50
1 On Thu, 05 Jan 2012 20:29:53 -0500
2 Alexandre Rostovtsev <tetromino@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Fri, 2012-01-06 at 00:52 +0100, Michał Górny wrote:
5 > > 3) a symlink is installed at /bin/systemd to ensure that current
6 > > init= specifications are still valid.
7 > >
8 > > Please note that these features will be removed after the
9 > > transitional period and users upgrading afterwards will have to
10 > > manually ensure correctness of their installations. The former two
11 > > features will be removed on 2012-03-01, the last one on 2012-05-01.
12 >
13 > Positive effects of removing the /bin/systemd symlink on 2021-05-01:
14 > saves one inode in the root fs.
15 >
16 > Negative effects of removing the /bin/systemd symlink on 2021-05-01:
17 > an unknown number of users who had forgotten to update their
18 > grub.conf will discover that they can no longer boot their systems.
19 >
20 > I would suggest not removing the symlink unless there is a technical
21 > reason why its presence is undesirable.
22
23 The symlink is distro-specific. Honestly, I'd get rid of it sooner --
24 but almost four months seem to be a safe period considering that we
25 are still in 'testing' stage mostly.
26
27 I'll add greps for the few common config files and 'ps' check in the
28 ebuild after the migration. I can also add a 'die' after that date.
29
30 Keeping backwards compatibility files for the lifetime is never a good
31 solution. It just makes users lazy, and right now using systemd under
32 Gentoo requires some abilities anyway.
35 Best regards,
36 Michał Górny