From: Branko Badrljica <brankob@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Can't format floppy or write to it...
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 06:27:21
1 I needed to make bootable floppy for graphic card BIOS reflash and
2 noticed that I can't fdformat floppy or even write to formatted one.
3
4 I can mount it -o rw, but when I try to write, write would fail.
5
6 Also, "fdformat /dev/fd0" seems to be working, but just to the
7 point,where it verifies written and fails on track 0.
8
9 I have checked:
10
11 - floppies for write protection ( it was off )
12 - for dirt on heads- I have cleaned floppy thoroughly
13 - bad unit. Exchanged it with another, with exactly same result.
14 - bad floppy disk. Tried a few other, with same result. Same disks
15 formatted on another Windoze machine just fine.
16 - bad access flags on /dev/fd0. (" Access: (0660/brw-rw----) Uid: ( 0/
17 root) Gid: ( 11/ floppy)" )
18
19 Here is output of "fdformat /dev/fd0":
20
21 >LANG="en" fdformat /dev/fd0
22
23 >Double-sided, 80 tracks, 18 sec/track. Total capacity 1440 kB.
24 >Formatting ... done
25 >Verifying ... Problem reading cylinder 1, expected 18432, read 2048
28 and here is dmesg | tail:
31 > Buffer I/O error on device fd0, logical block 32
32 > end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 288
33 > Buffer I/O error on device fd0, logical block 36
34 > end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 308
35 > Buffer I/O error on device fd0, logical block 38
36 > end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 333
37 > Buffer I/O error on device fd0, logical block 41
38 > end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 45
39 > Buffer I/O error on device fd0, logical block 5
40
41 Machine:
43 Boartd Foxconn A7DA-S
44 8 Gig RAM.
45 nVidia 8800GT with 1GiG RAM DDR3
46 DVD+ RW unit
47 floppy
48 2x 500 Gb HDD SATA
49
50 Gentoo 64-bit ( 2008.0-desktop profile )
51 pretty much latest version of everything
52 kernel gentoo-sources-2.6.28-r1
55 Has anyone noticed anything remotely similar ?
56 I can recall being able to use floppy normally with older 2.6.27
57 kernels, but can't try this now...
60 Regards,
61
62 Branko