From: Mike Auty <ikelos@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Paludis and Profiles
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 23:06:46
1 Forgive me,
2 I'm a little new at this and I really don't want to get involved, but
3 since my inbox has seen nothing but this for the past day or two, I'm
4 going to ask a few questions I'm interested in the answers to...
5 First and foremost is, will adding this to the tree be used for
6 function creep, whereby the next request to add to/alter the portage
7 tree is backed up by "Well, the profile change was already added to the
8 tree"? I wouldn't want a precedent like this set without the council
9 reviewing it.
10 Secondly, is that what's already being done by asking individual arch
11 devs to add individual paludis profiles? Surely paludis would
12 eventually require all archs to be there, or have I missed something
13 (which I may have)? Having already added a file to the profiles
14 directory, which caused a few posts on here earlier, and then having
15 asked the question of all the devs so as to avoid a similar incident,
16 and then received a mixed response, now specific people have been asked
17 if individually they'll help get paludis in the tree. Doesn't that seem
18 a little improper, perhaps?
19 Thirdly has anything like this ever happened to Debian or the Sourcery
20 group? If so how did they cope with it, and if not, how have they
21 avoided it?
22 As you may have guessed I'm of the, "You can do the same thing with an
23 overlay, so why must it be in the tree". I am however willing to wait
24 and see what the council says, why can't the changes to the tree wait
25 until then, what is so urgent? I'm especially intrigued since all this
26 is simply to no longer require portage as a dependency of system. Can't
27 paludis peacefully co-exist with a portage installation for a little
28 longer, until it's mature?
29 Thanks,
30 Mike 5:\
31 --