From: Mark Bainter <mark-gt@×××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] SSH, PAM, and LDAP
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 01:16:10
1 Grant Goodyear [g2boojum@g.o] wrote:
2 > I'm currently working on at least slightly revamping our openldap
3 > ebuilds so that they aren't quite so broken. For those of you who have
4 > successfully installed openldap, what versions are you using? Have you
5 > found any notable bugs or problems (other than the ssh business, which I
6 > haven't come close to looking at yet) that I need to address?
9 I'm using the current released ebuild. It works fine for me.
10 FYI, the problem with ssh is not ldap, it's ssh. telnet, ftp,
11 etc all work just fine.
12
13 The problem is that the changes for priviledge seperation in OpenSSH
14 broke the parts of PAM authentication that require root privileges
15 to work. For example, dealing with shadow accounts (primarily
16 surrounding expiry tests) and creating home directories.
17
18 There are several bug reports about this in openssh's bugzilla
19 already. Hopefully they'll get around to fixing it one day. I'm
20 still digging for a patch to fix this, and if I find one that
21 works (or write one) I'll pass it along to the openssh ebuild
22 maintainer.
25 The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge
26 to rule it.
27 --H.L. Mencken
30 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list