From: Roy Marples <uberlord@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] init.d problem
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2006 23:17:37
1 On Tuesday 04 July 2006 23:58, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 04 July 2006 18:43, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
3 > > We should think about mechanisms to check if the service is
4 > > actually running. This could also be used for frequently service
5 > > checks and notification.
6 >
7 > there is no fool proof way to do this
8 > -mike
9
10 No there's not as what the init script actually starts is up to the init
11 script.
12
13 However, with baselayout-1.12 we intercept calls to start-stop-daemon and
14 store information about what was started (binary, pidfile) so when root then
15 does "/etc/init.d/foo status" we check to see if all the binaries are still
16 running. If not then we do an "/etc/init.d/foo stop" behind the scenes.
17
18 But some init scripts don't use start-stop-daemon, like sshd. These scripts
19 will need to be re-working around start-stop-daemon.
22 Roy Marples <uberlord@g.o>
23 Gentoo/Linux Developer (baselayout, networking)
24 --
25 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list