From: Joel Konkle-Parker <jjk3@×××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-doc@g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-doc] per-package USE documentation
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 12:56:24
1 (P.S. I'm trying to keep from splitting this thread between -doc and -dev)
2
3 Quoting Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>:
4
5 > On Mon, Dec 08, 2003 at 10:47:16AM -0600, Joel Konkle-Parker wrote:
6 > > I'd like to propose that we add per-package USE flag descriptions to
7 > the
8 > > package pages on http://packages.gentoo.org. I can't tell you how
9 > many
10 > > times I've sat and wondered what effect a particular flag has on a
11 > > particular package, and the use.desc descriptions are much too brief
13 > > give any kind of useful detail (and the use.local.desc descriptions
14 > are
15 > > just for local flags, not global ones). For example:
16 > >
17 > > "What effect does USE="xml2" have on xfree?"
18 > > "Why does w3m need USE="imlib"?
19 > > "Why should I keep USE="berkdb"?
20 >
21 > I wouldn't mind that packages.gentoo.org views the used USE flags at
22 > all, but
23 > describing what effect a USE-flag has is almost impossible. To know
24 > this, you
25 > must read the ebuild. Auto-generated information will probably be as
26 > cryptic
27 > as it would by just reading the ebuild and would therefore not provide
28 > any
29 > useful information.
30 >
31 > From reading the xfree ebuild, I can tell that xml2 activates support
32 > for
33 > Libxml2. If you want to parse this automatically, you would probably
34 > have
35 > something like "Adds HasLibxml2 YES to config/cf/host.def".
38 Well, let's not generated it automatically, then. See below.
41 > > I see the need to have some sort of USE listing on each package page
42 > that
43 > > gives human-readable descriptions that can be used to tell whether
44 > someone
45 > > would want a particular USE flag for a particular package. An
46 > extended
47 > > package description may by helpful as well.
48 > >
49 > > While yes, this would take a lot of grunt-work, I think the value to
50 > Gentoo
51 > > users would be immeasurable. I'd also be more than happy to help.
52 >
53 > grunt-work? I believe it is an endless job with the possibility that
54 > wrong
55 > information is provided (as the meanings of USE-flags can differ from
56 > version
57 > to version). I'd personally rather have no info than wrong info.
58 >
59 > Providing a list of used USE-flags is a good thing. Manually describing what
60 > a USE-flag does on a package is imho impossible.
61
62 I guess the obvious place for this information would be inside the ebuild
63 itself. It could get be parsed out for the packages page. An example ebuild
64 (gcc) would have:
65
66 USE_DESC="java: compiles the gcj java compiler and associated support files; not
67 needed if you're not using gcj"
68
69 That would put a small additional load on ebuild creators, yes, but who knows
70 their USE flags better than the ebuilders themselves? That short one-liner would
71 be extremely helpful on my (the user's) end as well. I'd see that (either by
72 looking at packages.gentoo.org, or in the ebuild, or with etcat, or similar) and
73 say "Ok, I don't think I've ever going to use gcj, so I'll set USE="-java"
74 without worrying about unintended consequences
78 Joel Konkle-Parker
79 Webmaster [Ballsome.com]
80
81 Phone [662-518-1636]