From: "Stephen P. Becker" <geoman@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Non-root emerges
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 19:21:36
1 > Remember, it's not just security though. A bug in a script when run
2 > as root could wipe out all or parts of a system.
5 ...which is the reason why we have sandbox. FEATURES="sandbox" causes
6 an emerge to terminate immediately with an access violation if it
7 attempts to touch system files before the build is complete.
8
9 I'm not saying you are wrong by the way, I'm just pointing out that
10 stuff like this has been thought of before, so portage has safety nets
11 accordingly.
12
13 Steve
18 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list