From: foser <foser@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] preference concerns over "gentoo-ization" of packages
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 19:28:15
1 On Sun, 2003-09-28 at 20:32, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
2 > I think that many of the gentoo users and developers are like me in comming to
3 > gentoo from running Linux From Scratch. Gentoo is started out as a tinckerers
4 > distro. It is not gentoo's main point of view to be a distro for linux
5 > newbees.
6
7 Well, that's what you do by holding hands for every possible extra and
8 what not. As if power users themselves cannot adapt it to their needs.
9
10 > And indeed, I'm more a kde kind of person than a gnome one. I really
11 > really dislike the fact that in gnome it is very hard to make it do what YOU
12 > want, not what the developers wanted.
13
14 GNOME as it is is not meant to be tinkered with, it's meant to be worked
15 with and people seem to enjoy it's simplicity. Yes it's a choice, but i
16 think it's a good one. Sensible defaults all the way.
17
18 > I also really dislike the ok, cancel
19 > button reversal in gnome.
20
21 And i don't like .. uh oh, yeah well let's get into such a thread. 'It
22 has always been done this way' is not the way improvements happen.
23
24 > I don't think tinkerers need their hands held. However before LFS I ran
25 > redhat. Do you know how difficult they make it to do any tinkering. Mandrake
26 > etc. are even worse. I think tinkering should never be inhibited by patches
27 > from gentoo.
28
29 Yeah, so let's ditch the patches and extras. The tinkerers know how to
30 apply them.
31
32 > I want to be able to read a howto from the LDP and know that as
33 > long as they don't talk about redhat or any other specific distro, it works
34 > for me in that way, and that when it doesn't, and I want it to work in that
35 > way, I can easilly make it work in that way without actually needing to edit
36 > any ebuild. Editing ebuilds creates a maintenance hell. You either need to
37 > never update, or edit the new one everytime there is an update.
38
39 Currently maybe, although if our needs be so we could probably add
40 portage support for local changes (beyond a local tree). Attack the
41 problem at it's root, not at it's leaves. We're getting into details
42 here, where the discussion goes from an ideological level (this is how i
43 see the distro) to implementation details (well i don't like it because
44 currently it works this way).
45
46 Moving away from vanilla for some users (USE dependant or not) will have
47 a group of users have the described problems. 'You should have used the
48 vanilla USE flag.' is not a proper response then, how should they know
49 is the default Gentoo not good enough ?
50
51 > Further wenn I were to review an application or, say, gnome. I would install
52 > it, but I would certainly not want any gentoo customizations (I'm reviewing
53 > gnome, not gentoo). I think there are enough cases for having a vanilla
54 > useflag. I do agree with you that we don't want dozens of them. For that we
55 > will get sticky use variables.
56
57 Well, Gentoo customizations in GNOME do not go much further than the GDM
58 theme I'm afraid and that could be discussed if you really disagree
59 there (but i know you don't ;)).
60
61 In one way you try to promote tinkering, only the distro has to make it
62 easy for the tinkerers. On the other hand you want Gentoo to stay
63 vanilla as well. I see this as a conflict. Tinkerers are not the ones
64 who need it to be available the easy way, the ones who do not want to
65 tinker are not interested in having it available in an easy way.
66
67 For me it's not about Gentoo being vanilla all the way, but for Gentoo
68 to be as vanilla as possible with only the really needed extras added.
69 Not the not-so-needed extras added behind some USE flag and some other
70 cool gadgets behind another USE flag.
71
72 - foser
77 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list