From: Fernando Reyes <likewhoa@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] borked release media
Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2012 04:58:04
1 iirc the minimal install CD ISO is capable of booting from a USB device or any removable media by just running the following commands.
2
3 # isohybrid image.ISO
4 # did if=image.ISO of=/dev/sdb bs=8192k
5
6 sdb being your removable device. Also keep in mind that any data on sdb will be wiped after running the dd command.
7
8 likewhoa
9
10 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
11
12 >On Fri, Dec 07, 2012 at 08:55:04PM -0800, "Pawe?? Hajdan, Jr." wrote
13 >
14 >> The serious problem here is that we need *new* users. A non-working
15 >> install CD is a really bad thing here, don't you think? ;-)
16 >
17 > While we're at it, can we please also make a USB-key "install ISO"?
18 >I'm not asking merely because "other distros do it". I'm asking because
19 >the situation has changed in the past half-dozen years. Back in 2005 or
20 >2006, almost all machines had a CD and/or DVD, and many older PC BIOSes
21 >did not allow for booting from a USB key. Fast-forward to 2012 (and
22 >soon 2013) and...
23 >* just about every PC is capable of booting from USB
24 >* quite a few netbooks/notebooks do not have a CD or DVD drive. E.g. I
25 > had to boot from a Knoppix USB key as my working environment to do the
26 > initial portion of the Gentoo install on my netbook.
27 >
28 > Yes, I'm aware of http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/liveusb.xml, but even I
29 >have occasionally fouled up those intructions. It doesn't exactly
30 >encourage new Gentoo users to have to go through that tap-dance. Arch
31 >linux https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/USB_Installation_Media
32 >manages to have a dual-bootable (CD / USB-key) image as a standard
33 >feature. In addition to installation, it would make the base of a good
34 >system rescue utility.
35 >
36 >--
37 >Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
38 >I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications