From: Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] emerge -e question Was: GCC-3.4 will be marked stable in ~1 hour on x86
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2005 02:13:50
1 On Saturday 03 December 2005 21:47, Duncan wrote:
2 > Mark Loeser posted <20051202215523.GA25803@×××××××××××××.com>, excerpted
3 >
4 > below, on Fri, 02 Dec 2005 16:55:23 -0500:
5 > > [1] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/x86/gcc-upgrading-guide.xml
6 >
7 > Reading this reminds me of a question I've had since I tried emerge -eav
8 > world last time:
9 >
10 > When portage merges, it stops the emerge process, updates its metadata or
11 > whatever, then restarts the process. With the -e in there, at least here,
12 > it reissued the same command over again, thereby restarting the process
13 > from the beginning and of course, upon getting to portage, looping yet
14 > again!
15
16 This is incorrect. Portage should only restart if the version that was merged
17 does not match the internally recorded version. There was one or two releases
18 that had an incorrect internal version but not for at least a year. However,
19 if the version has changed and portage does restart itself then any packages
20 listed before portage will be merged again.
21
22 > Maybe it was because I was using -KuD also, to remerge/upgrade from binary
23 > packages? (Hard disk trouble, I was remerging the binary packages to
24 > bring up2date an old installation snapshot.)
25
26 Perhaps you were using one of the broken versions?
29 Jason Stubbs
30 --
31 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list