From: Dylan Carlson <absinthe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] where goes Gentoo?
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 01:04:02
1 On Monday 06 June 2005 16:55, Aron Griffis wrote:
2 > I think that attempting to take Gentoo in the "enterprise" direction
3 > is a mistake. I think that we are a hobbyist distribution. This
4 > doesn't mean that we should not strive to meet some of the enterprise
5 > goals. Those things can be important to hobbyists too. But I don't
6 > think we should be aiming for corporate America.
7
8 I've always felt Gentoo is better as a base or platform. There's certainly
9 enough power in the tools we provide for anyone to roll something
10 "enterprise" based upon our work. Or for any other purpose, including
11 binary-only.
12
13 Much in the same way as there are numerous distros that ARE Debian --
14 derived from and cooperative with, but not separate from.
15
16 People could always try to fork, too, but many of us know how well that
17 went for people who have tried...
18
19 Cheers,
22 Dylan Carlson [absinthe@g.o]