From: Mike <kyphros@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: rsync speed and space taken
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 22:18:03
1 On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 22:00:55 +0000, Luke-Jr <luke-jr@×××××××.org> wrote:
4 > On Friday 22 October 2004 9:56 pm, Andrew Fant wrote:
5 > > I'm not sure that I would call that a cool benefit. It seems to come close
6 > > to an egregious violation of privacy. I know that there is no promise of
7 > > confidentiality in the use of the portage rsync servers, but to actively
8 > > and publicly start collecting data about who is using what seems to only
9 > > invite more paranoia.
10 > Except that it won't be able to reliably collect the "who" part, only the
11 > "what". Sure, you could log IPs, but many users IPs change more frequently
12 > than they sync.
13
14 Even the what won't be reliable, as it won't show all of us who use
15 emerge-webrsync due to firewall restrictions.
16
17 Mike
20 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list