From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] glibc 2.16/19 for Gentoo Prefix on antique kernels
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2018 19:26:35
1 W dniu nie, 25.02.2018 o godzinie 19∶31 +0900, użytkownik Benda Xu
2 napisał:
3 > Hi Michał,
4 >
5 > Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> writes:
6 >
7 > > I don't think this is the first old version Prefix team needs keeping.
8 > > Another example are old versions of LLVM.
9 >
10 > I am sure you are aware that Prefix has two variants: one is
11 > prefix-rpath targeting MacOS, Solaris, AIX, Cygwin, Interix and a subset
12 > of GNU/Linux; the other is prefix-standalone, targeting GNU/Linux and
13 > Android/Linux.[1]
14 >
15 > For LLVM example, it is prefix-rpath, which hosts its own overlay at
16 > repo/proj/prefix.git. Besides LLVM there are other hacks at present in
17 > the overlay. But we still keep the ultimate goal of merging prefix.git
18 > into gentoo.git.
19
20 I am also keeping old versions of LLVM for Prefix team. That's why I'd
21 really prefer to get rid of them and have them in some common overlay
22 that all Prefix users can use.
23
24 > What we are discussing in this thread, however, is prefix-standalone, it
25 > uses the official gentoo repository without any overlay. It works
26 > perfectly for kernel-2.6.26+ and linux-3.2+. So, creating an overlay of
27 > 2 ebuilds for prefix-standalone is an overkill.
28
29 Maybe it is. But isn't making maintenance of Gentoo packages more
30 complexity for Prefix an overkill? We are effectively switching
31 from trivial model of 'assign bug with X to maintainer' to checking
32 which maintainer applies to which version of X.
35 > Yours,
36 > Benda
37 >
38 > 1. https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Prefix