From: Jon Portnoy <avenj@g.o>
To: Allen Parker <allenp@×××.org>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] creating ebuilds
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2004 07:46:38
1 On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 02:36:53AM -0500, Allen Parker wrote:
2 > > On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 11:05:45PM -0800, Robert Cole wrote:
3 > > > I would like to start creating ebuilds for products and maintaining them
4 > > but
5 > > > I'm a little concerned that my contributions won't be accepted. Will I
6 > > be
7 > > > wasting my time asking to be a maintainer for a couple of ebuilds I
8 > > create
9 > > > and get them in the tree?
10 > > >
11 > >
12 > > Generally, when someone asks, my response is an automatic no.
13 > >
14 > > Prove yourself and you'll be picked up as a dev.
15 > Sorry, this seems a bit elitist. :(
16
17 Why, because I don't want to pick up every Tom, Dick, and Harry with a
18 couple ebuilds and give them access to the tree, which means access to
19 deliver executable data to your system and tens if not hundreds of
20 thousands of others? I'm sorry if it's elitist, but someone who's just
21 maintaining a couple of ebuilds in most cases does not need CVS access
22 and someone who hasn't proven themselves _definitely_ does not need
23 CVS access.
24
25 Now, if important packages are going unmaintained, _then_ new devs are
26 recruited to maintain them. What I'm getting at is that if, say, courier
27 (just as an example) is going unmaintained, I (as a recruiter) or other
28 devs (as new dev sponsors) will look for people who have a history of
29 valuable contributions and ask them to be developers.
30
31 None of this means you can't contribute to Gentoo or that contributors
32 have no chance of becoming developers. Fundamentally it means I find it
33 very difficult to trust people who straight out ask for CVS access.
34 Would you do differently in my position?
37 > Avenj, as I recently was interested in submitting ebuilds myself. Could we
38 > possibly come up with a quick and easy system for devs to pop in, check a
39 > list of submitted ebuilds, grab ones that look interesting to them, test to
40 > see if they build/self-destruct, mark them as ~ARCH (for ARCH they can test
41 > on), either clear the initial listing and slap them into the tree or kick it
42 > back to the user?
43
44 This is the function bugzilla is supposed to serve. Why would a second
45 system be any more efficient?
48 > Personally, I found it to be a pain in the rear to see 1 1/2 yr old ebuilds
49 > relating to the packages I was developing ebuilds for in bugzilla, yet with
50 > information so stale as to be stinking the place up. I think that there are
51 > a lot of things that could be offered to Gentoo users without too much
52 > hassle by other Gentoo users as long as dev says "ok, that sounds fun." I
53 > mean, I got passed back and forth from hardened to general and back a few
54 > times and it was all because the devs reviewing my bug(s) didn't understand
55 > the packages.
56 >
57 > I may not know C/C++ very well (minimal understanding at most), so I
58 > wouldn't be able to "fix" something that was broken via diff, but I sure as
59 > heck have the computing power to do 100s of compiles :-D and thoroughly test
60 > certain things before I put them live on my OWN production machines.
61 > Basically, I'm not a programmer, but I can *still* write a darned good
62 > ebuild with the proper help (thx Spyderous, obz and others in #gentoo-dev).
63 > Simply because I can't program, I can't be a dev... does that mean I can't
64 > do thorough package mangling/testing? Not really... In fact, I've been told,
65 > that with most things, if anyone can break it, I can :-D
66
67 No, but it does mean you probably don't need CVS access at this time.
71 Jon Portnoy
72 avenj/irc.freenode.net
75 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list