From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] newsitem: openrc runscript transition (draft 3)
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2016 22:00:25
1 On Wed, Aug 24, 2016 at 07:41:42PM +0200, Thomas Deutschmann wrote:
2 > On 2016-08-24 19:07, William Hubbs wrote:
3 > > I do not plan to drop runscript at this point, that will happen when
4 > > openrc-1.0 is released, which will be a while yet.
5 >
6 > ...and that's the reason why I don't think this needs a newsitem.
7 > There's _no_ problem and no _immediate_ user interaction is required.
8 >
9 > I would only adjust the current warning from
10 >
11 > > * /etc/init.d/test uses runscript, please convert to openrc-run.
15 > > * /etc/init.d/test uses runscript and must be converted to openrc-run
16 > > * For more details see /usr/share/doc/openrc-*/openrc-migration*
17
18 Since OpenRC is used outside of Gentoo, a warning like this would have
19 to be:
20
21 * /etc/init.d/test uses runscript and must be converted to openrc-run
22 * For more details see the OpenRC NEWS file
23
24 because we don't know where or if the file will be installed by
25 downstreams.
26
27 > In "/usr/share/doc/openrc-*/openrc-migration*" we describe _why_ this
28 > was changed and tell them that all files in FILESDIR were already
29 > migrated so chances are high that
30 >
31 > # emerge --oneshot -av $(grep -l '/sbin/runscript' /etc/init.d/*)
32 >
33 > will replace most runscripts with migrated scripts.
34 >
35 > If the user has already done that he/she should check which packages
36 > owns the runscript (qfile /etc/init.d/foo) and should file a bug against
37 > that package.
38
39 We can't really put anything distro-specific in the news file, because we
40 don't know how distros will handle it.
41
42 > Finally add a note for package owner (don't forget user's repositories!)
43 > and tell them what they need to do (which line must be changed, show
44 > example before and after the migration).
45
46 Something like this could go into the upstream NEWS file easily enough.
47
48 > And as additional help sys-apps/openrc ebuild should start scanning for
49 > "/sbin/runscript" usage in pkg_postinst and show an ewarn with text
50
51 I wouldn't say that the OpenRC ebuild should be concerned about this,
52 but I believe there is a check in repoman for it.
55 > ...once an openrc version without "/sbin/runscript" will be released we
56 > will have to release a newsitem before because _then_ we really require
57 > user interaction and must force people to take notice.
58
59 Probably so. In theory, there won't be too much to worry about at that
60 point; I plan to delay a while before I do that.
61
62 > PS: And don't forget to fix the warning from /sbin/runscript to honor
63 > "--quiet". If this bug wouldn't exist we wouldn't talk about a newsitem
64 > at the moment ;-)
65
66 heh, I think we still would be talking about a newsitem because the
67 messages still appear during bootup, but yes I'll look at this.
68
69 William