From: Zack Gilburd <zack@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Directory services (was Re: [gentoo-dev] maybe it is time to put portage queries into a database.)
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 14:58:44
1 On Friday 27 June 2003 05:58 am, Rigo Ketelings wrote:
2 > Op vr 27-06-2003, om 14:23 schreef Eric Sammer:
3 > > Just to add something to my last email about portage and database /
4 > > directory services...
5 > >
6 > > While talking to my wife this morning (a sysadmin and security
7 > > professional and fellow gentoo user) about this situation, we realized
8 > > something else about portage in openldap. This would (or could,
9 > > depending on implementation) severely limit the rsync bottle neck by
10 > > allowing for a hierarchy of directory servers to be replicated from by
11 > > users.
12 >
13 > I REALLY like this idea..
14
15 I /tried/ using LDAP as my authentication for pam a while back, in hopes of
16 having a nice, network-wide, roaming profile. However, such hopes were
17 quickly shattered once I got authentication going even locally. My login
18 attempts would take /quite/ a while and it was very inefficient. I would
19 rather see a MySQL database.
20
21 > > With clever use of referals and replication, you could
22 > > effectively remove the rsync issues of bandwidth and the
23 > > "stop-syncing-so-often-it's-rude" problem. Updates to portage would be
24 > > propagated down the line when commited moving a smaller (but steady)
25 > > stream of traffic rather than unpredictable bursts (note: that's an
26 > > assumption). This would eliminate the need for 'emerge sync' (in theory).
27 > >
28 > > Again, this is all very academic as the data to back up these ideas is
29 > > out of the public eye (thankfully). Maybe just food for thought...
30 > >
31 > > Thanks to all devs for all the great work.
32 >
33 > Yup, can't say that enough too ;)...
34
35 Granted I am incorrect about my assertions above, I would like to see this
36 *work* in a real-world situation before I say, "Yea, sure, let's give LDAP a
37 try..."
40 Zack Gilburd
41 http://tehunlose.com
42 GnuPG Key ID: A79A45668240AB6C