From: Daniel Jaeggi <jaeggi@×××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo part II.
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 11:46:06
1 On Tue, Jul 15, 2003 at 05:37:42AM -0500, splite wrote:
2 > > With QA and the growth of the project comes a management structure. That
3 >
4 > Any "project" has a management structure, by definition. If the present
5 > structure can't keep up with growth, another possibility is to check the
6 > growth.
9 There, you've said it! As a gentoo user, the way I see things is that
10 its are growing too fast and the current system and decision making
11 processes can't really keep up. In particular, bug tracking and fixing
12 and too many development ideas going there own direction. IMHO the
13 present structure can't keep up with growth. We agree so much!
14
15 The trouble is, is that growth seems to be the aim of the general
16 project. Witness Gentoo Games, Gentoo Embedded, Gentoo Hardened and
17 general noise from the gentoo project - people want to grow.
18
19 Therefore, as checking growth is not posible and does not seem desired,
20 some change is a necessity. OK, I'm not in favour at all of
21 consensus voting, Debian style mis-management but there must be some
22 suitable structure that allows a handle to be keept on the project while
23 still allowing development freedom.
24
25 Dan
29 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list