From: "Petteri Räty" <betelgeuse@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Including a warning to restart daemons after an update.
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2011 17:09:25
1 On 21.08.2011 15:27, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > On Sun, 21 Aug 2011 07:29:45 -0400
3 > "Anthony G. Basile" <basile@××××××××××××××.edu> wrote:
4 >
5 >> OpenSuse has a nice solution. After an upgrade, it tells you that
6 >> there are some running binaries still linking against the old
7 >> libraries and asks you to run "zypper ps" to see them in a pretty
8 >> format. You can then restart at your discretion.
9 >>
10 >> I'm wondering if we should add something like that? Something to be
11 >> run post_inst() and just ewarn the user. It could be a small eclass
12 >> on its own that maintainers can elect to inherit and use in ebuilds
13 >> for daemons.
14 >>
15 >> What do you think? If its a good idea, is implementing it in an
16 >> eclass the way to go?
17 >
18 > Rather in PM. Portage 2.2 already does some library magic due to
19 > preserved-libs, why it can't do something in this area too?
22 Yeah seems like something a package manager can implement and wouldn't
23 necessarily need anything from ebuilds.
24
25 Regards,
26 Petteri