From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Gentoo Bugday
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 23:05:08
1 On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 22:30:38 +0100
2 Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se> wrote:
3
4 > Tom Wijsman wrote:
5 > > > > We could create a new repo at our Github and start developing.
6 > > >
7 > > > Don't start developing, plz work on bugs instead.
8 > >
9 > > Then who will develop useful tools to handle bugs more efficiently?
10 >
11 > Don't get me wrong: I am not hating on useful tools!
12
13 That's not an answer to my question.
14
15 > I am saying that working on tools is orthogonal to working on open
16 > bugs.
17
18 And I am saying that working on tools that help you work on open bugs is
19 not orthogonal to fixing open bugs, it helps you fix them efficiently.
20
21 > > his sole two bugs
22 >
23 > Is there a rule in Gentoo that forbids a dev to fix a bug assigned to
24 > someone else? That would make absolutely no sense to me.
25 >
26 > No wonder then, that there are several bugs with no activity for
27 > months after I have committed fixed ebuilds to my overlay and
28 > mentioned that in a comment.
29
30 Yes, one shall not commit on packages other developers maintain
31 without the permission to do such thing. But let's assume the horribly
32 "attaching a patch" approach (save two files, compare them, bla...)...
33
34 Can you write me a tool that shows these kinds of bugs, easily submit
35 patches to them and follow up on whether the developer commits them or
36 retires at one or another point? I don't do any of this for my bugs.
37
38 I could state that working on bugs assigned to someone else is
39 orthogonal to fixing your own bugs.
40
41 > He has become a developer so why would he not be able to take
42 > neccessary action to close bugs, even if they haven't been assigned
43 > to him?
44
45 Because it isn't as simple as you make it seem like, as stated above.
46
47 > - But Peter, you say, don't you see - that would lead to more fixed
48 > bugs!
49 >
50 > Orly? How is that bad?
51
52 Y u no serious? U mad?
53
54 > (I'm obviously assuming that all developers (but not infra) are
55 > equally competent, since that's the model taught by recruitment.)
56
57 Competence is irrelevant to this discussion, competency is to be
58 assumed. Though, since you want to discuss this; note that with the
59 right tools incompetent developers can become more competent, instead
60 of having no clue where to start they can efficiently start on
61 something right away and finish it in a timely matter.
62
63 > > short term
64 > ..
65 > > long term
66 >
67 > Yes, life is tradeoff. In my experience development of tools is
68 > rather a long term thing, while a day of working on bugs is more
69 > short term. A day short, to be exact. :)
70
71 What experience are you even talking about? Did you write a tool that
72 handles upon bugs, build logs or something else that applies to the
73 daily Gentoo Dev process?
74
75 > If there are numerous unactionable bugs then perhaps skip them on
76 > that day, and work on shiny bulk processing tools the next day.
77
78 So, we need another tool to mark and bulk process unactionable bugs! Or
79 at least plan and write the searches for our lovely Bugzilla to do so,
80 oh, and also CC a ton of people with this madness while we're at it.
81
82 > Just my 2. But never mind. I guess I'm not supposed to participate
83 > in the bugday anyway. Good for me! :)
84
85 It's only a day short. The other six days are free to work on tools...
88 With kind regards,
89
90 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
91 Gentoo Developer
92
93 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
94 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
95 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D