From: Christian Heim <phreak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Last rites: net-www/mod_encoding and net-www/mod_random
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 18:38:09
1 Dear people (those who care), I just masked net-www/mod_encoding and
2 net-www/mod_random.
3
4 net-www/mod_encoding is useless with any modern system (it was usefull back in
5 the days where browsers/apache couldn't interpret non-ascii charsets
6 correctly). There hasn't been any new release for >2 years, and modern
7 apache / browsers already support that kind of feature.
8
9 net-www/mod_random is a module providing custom, randomized responses which
10 can be easily implemented by using some random apache interface-able
11 scripting language (pick any of ruby, python, php, ...).
12
13 Another reason for this is, that the apache team lost another member and thus
14 we are reorganizing stuff, removing ebuilds that are broken, useless with
15 current versions of apache or superseeded by other packages, that work better
16 and are better maintainable.
17
18 It is fading away sometime in February.
21 Christian Heim <phreak at gentoo.org>
22 GPG key ID: 9A9F68E6
23 Fingerprint: AEC4 87B8 32B8 4922 B3A9 DF79 CAE3 556F 9A9F 68E6
24 --
25 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list