From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] sed vs gsed
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 10:47:07
1 On Wednesday 25 January 2006 01:17, Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 25 January 2006 00:48, Stephen Bennett wrote:
3 > > We've discussed this several times in the past, and every time the
4 > > answer has been that in the ebuild environment `sed` is gnu sed-4. It's
5 > > the only sane way to do things, since certain other platforms ship
6 > > retarded versions of sed.
7 >
8 > And as there's no current way to fix the invokation of sed from within
9 > xargs or find, I'm not going to ask to change _all_ the calls of sed, but
10 > just the ones done through those two or other scripts and things that won't
11 > honour aliases in bashrc.
12
13 Make a sed link / copy / script / whatever in an alternative location, and put
14 it in the portage path before /bin. That should solve all these kinds of
15 problems. In general it might make sense to have such a directory for
16 portage. Another candidate would be the strip binary which might be called by
17 certain makefiles instead of being portage controlled.
18
19 Paul
22 Paul de Vrieze
23 Gentoo Developer