From: Will Rogers <wjr@×××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: RE: [gentoo-dev] Normal user login with ProFTPd?
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2001 21:09:05
1 > * do you have pam in your USE variable in /etc/make.conf?
2
3 The only edits I've done to make.conf are to uncommend the optimization
4 options for 686 processors. The /etc/make.profile file has USE set to
5 include all of the recommended options (including pam). My
6 understanding is that this sets the defaults; make.conf customizes those
7 defaults. Is this correct?
8
9 > * do you have /etc/pam.d/ftp? That should be the pam
10 > configuration file
11 > that is used (this is set in the proftpd conf file as AuthPAMConfig).
12
13 The file exists. I tried using the default settings and the Red Hat and
14 SuSE recommended settings from the README.PAM in the proftpd source
15 archive, none seemed to work.
16
17 I downloaded the source and recompiled it (I had done a binary
18 installation from the rc5 cd before) and it didn't change anything. I
19 can still log in anonymously but not with my user account. There might
20 be something basic I'm missing; has anyone else gotten this to work? I
21 found it really tough to find documentation on logging in to system user
22 accounts on the proftpd site. If someone could post a simple
23 step-by-step maybe we could figure out where the problem is.
24
25 A few more observations:
26
27 The binary I had first installed from the rc5 cd put its configuration
28 in /etc/proftp/proftpd.conf, but the version I downloaded and compiled
29 (both marked 1.2.2_rc3) put it in /etc/proftpd/proftpd.conf (note the
30 difference in directory name).
31
32 The default proftpd.conf file does not work out of the box--it causes a
33 "could not change gid" error. I changed the "Group nogroup" to "Group
34 nobody" and it worked fine.
37 Thanks again,
38
39 Will Rogers