From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Project Sunrise resumed again (was Resignation)
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2006 04:16:19
1 On Wed, Aug 02, 2006 at 10:27:04PM -0500, Lance Albertson wrote:
2 > Brian Harring wrote:
3 > > On Wed, Aug 02, 2006 at 08:05:15PM +0200, Carsten Lohrke wrote:
4 >
5 > >> Local overlays are fine as the user exactly knows what he does in his private
6 > >> overlay (and hopefully follows eclass changes), development overlays are fine
7 > >> (assuming the group of people controls the releavant overlays as well),
8 > >> overlays like Sunrise are problematic, not to use such anal words as you do.
9 > >
10 > > Why are they problematic? Because of your assumption that they won't
11 > > maintain it?
12 > >
13 > > It's the same thing as gentoo-x86 (I will keep stating that till it's
14 > > grilled into peoples heads also), this is _not_ a new issue so why are
15 > > people leveling issues of gentoo-x86 as new issues of sunrise?
16 > >
17 > > So someone goes and breaks something in gentoo-x86 that breaks
18 > > something for sunrise. Fine, it's sunrises' mess to clean up; they've
19 > > volunteered to do this work, I don't see how you can claim it as a
20 > > negative when they've accepted it as part of _their_ work.
21 >
22 > I think the point a lot of people are concerned about are packages that
23 > contain libraries or other dependencies that reside in the sunrise tree.
24 > There's a good chance that a package in the regular tree will link
25 > against a package from sunrise, the user will have no idea or forget
26 > that they installed that app from sunrise (and the dep exists), and a
27 > bug arises.
28
29 http://www.gentoo-sunrise.org/sunrise/wiki/SunriseFaq
30
31 Specifically, for those who haven't done their reading, look for the
32 "Can I commit everything I like to the overlay", specifically the
33 rules involved for what goes in.
34
35 The short and skiny is that the arguement of "they'll have some
36 package that breaks my package" is kind of daft- sunrise won't hold
37 version bumps for packages in the tree (one exception to this is
38 maintainer-needed that has sat, perhaps they can clarify that corner
39 case).
40
41 For the maintainer-wanted, the developer who pulls the package in
42 *should* be lifting from sunrise already. Why? Because whats there
43 has actually been exposed to users, rather then them relying on a
44 simple eyeballing of the ebuild from bugzilla instead.
45
46 That leaves the "will link against a package from sunrise"... covered
47 the potentials above, the remaining case is a package in the tree
48 linking against a maintainer-needed ebuild.
49
50 Funny thing, that's actually a bug in the developers package. Daft I
51 know, but it's actually a *good* thing to smoke those out, there
52 should be no unstated linkage (if it ain't in the deps, it's
53 a bug to use/link to it).
56 > Who's fault is it? Is it the package maintainer in the
57 > regular tree, or sunrise?
58
59 > How do you stop excessive bug traffic for issues like this?
60
61 Assumption is that there will be excessive bug traffic for issues like
62 that. Rules above imo lay it out well enough I don't think it'll
63 occur at the level of "excessive". Basically, sky is falling
64 predictions- no one has hard facts since this is hypothetical, so it
65 would be *nice* if people would at least recognize that they may be
66 barking at a minimal issue.
67
68 *Plus*, with sunrise under gentoos thumb if it proves to be more
69 trouble then it's worth, the plug can be pulled- that's the trade of
70 it being official, they get hosting, y'all get an actual say in what
71 they do.
72
73 If they do it externally, ain't much you can do- can't demand they do
74 something (result of that if it were me would be a mooning), stuck
75 requesting them to do what _y'all_ want.
78 > Another issue I think people are ignoring here is the fact that sunrise
79 > isn't focused on a particular part of the tree. I think Ciaran made a
80 > point earlier (that was probably ignored) about the fact of why we have
81 > herds in the regular tree. They aren't perfect, but they still do a
82 > decent job of gathering people who have a good understand about a
83 > certain group of packages. I have a hard time believing that the same
84 > type of quality exists with the number of devs working on it. The
85 > difference between sunrise and say the php overlay is the fact that
86 > sunrise isn't focused on a set of packages (just ones that people want
87 > that aren't in the tree) compared to a focused set for a specific
88 > purpose (php).
89
90 What is sunrises reason for existance?
91
92 It's meant to hold ebuilds that _rot_ in bugzilla in a place where
93 people can work on them as needed, and folks who need the packages can
94 use them. They may get bit in the ass since it's a fairly raw repo
95 (despite reviewed branch), but the purpose here is different; it's not
96 intended as a dumping ground (and if it becomes one, council has
97 stated their intentions), it's intended as a repo for people to get at
98 the ebuilds in an easier way, and improve those ebuilds if there is
99 interest.
102 > The more I think about it, I think there needs to be a separation
103 > between "a sandbox for users to hone their ebuild skills" and "these
104 > packages aren't in the tree yet
105
106 Honing your ebuild skills occurs via practing said ebuild skills.
107
108 You're not making much of a point here frankly- if ebuild devs won't
109 do a damn thing about an ebuild, who will? That leaves people who are
110 interested in the ebuild.
111
112 You're basically arguing here that because a dev (who has passed
113 bluntly some arbitary chalk on the wall ebuild test) doesn't have an
114 interest in the package, other folks shouldn't do anything with the
115 ebuild.
116
117 Phrased that way, it sounds... a bit demanding and out of line.
118
119 There is a first level, and a second level. What hits the second
120 level is at least reviewed by others (something gentoo-x86 lacks).
121
122 People _want_ the package, they wouldn't have submitted it to bugzie
123 otherwise- if devs won't do the work, sunrise devs stepping up to help
124 is the best you're going to get.
125
126 (and prior to anyone screaming "but they may suck", again, note the
127 reviewing- it's a _good_ attempt to deal with that issue).
130 > Whats the real purpose of sunrise then? The sandbox/learning ground? Or a
131 > place for ebuilds that are stuck in bugs? The sunrise project has been
132 > fighting on the grounds of learning aspect, but most of the people are
133 > having issues with the ebuild stomping ground side. If I remember right,
134 > the primary reason the council voted to re-enact sunrise was because of
135 > the learning side of it. I don't doubt that (if done right) would be a
136 > great thing, but I have concerns on the implementation of the latter.
137
138 Bit daft to assume that sunrise can serve one, and only one purpose.
139 See above, it provides
140
141 1) area for ebuilds that are bitrotting, thus trying to get a gain out
142 of the original submitters work via sharing it _easily_ with others
143 such that they can use/improve it as needed
144
145 2) a testing ground for ebuilds prior to actually hitting the tree.
146 Fair bit easier of a sell for a package if it's been exposed to users
147 for 6 months with minimal issue, versus looking at a bug and seeing
148 just an ebuild
149
150 3) way to enable people who want these things, to contribute. This is
151 both the 'learning ground', and a way to sucker^Wbring more folk into
152 the extended disfunctional family that is gentoo.
153
154 Further, sunrise is an opt-in setup. People aren't forced to use it,
155 just the same as people aren't forced to use ~arch. If they *do*,
156 they're taking on the costs of using it.
159 > For an example:
160 >
161 > To me, it would work better if the netmon herd brought on a user to help
162 > with the netmon overlay. They would get specific 'training' on working
163 > on netmon ebuilds. They could have done the 'bootcamp' at sunrise
164 > initially, then moved onto the herd overlay for something a bit more
165 > organized and better maintained. This would produce a part of the QA
166 > that some people are in a fuss about, and some better organization.
167 > Heck, maybe even some interaction with the sunrise group and netmon herd
168 > would be great so that the education continues, but on other watchful eyes.
169 >
170 > Basically, it boils down to organization of ebuilds and how they are
171 > being watched. A group that watches all isn't a good idea to me, my idea
172 > above makes more sense.
173
174 One question then. What if netmon has no interest?
175
176 What then, because they don't care, for those users who have no
177 option but to work locally, or start their own overlay if they want
178 to share it?
179
180 Personally, I think herds stepping in and helping would be a good
181 thing. That said, it is _not_ their place to block others from
182 volunteering their efforts (iow, herds doing territorial pissing
183 should not fly).
184
185 If netmon doesn't want to do anything with sunrise, fine- then it
186 falls to the general maintainers to watch over things. That said, if
187 netmon doesn't want any involvement, that shouldn't block others from
188 trying to contribute (we see enough of that already in mainline
189 gentoo).
190
191 Now if netmon thinks sunrise is screwing up their packages left and
192 right, well take it to the council/devrel (whichever it falls under)-
193 same way any other project <-> project issue should be dealt with.
194
195 yes, herd isn't strictly a project, but you get the point- don't like
196 the implicit statement that sunrise is automatically second class
197 citizen to the herd, thus the herd can boss them around.
198
199 Sunrise *should* defer to the herd when they're not making loco
200 demands, hash out an optimal solution for all parties. Having a
201 defacto "we say it is so" doesn't enable such a setup however.
202
203 ~harring