From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: rfc: news items vs ewarns
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2015 08:26:13
1 William Hubbs posted on Fri, 30 Jan 2015 17:06:29 -0600 as excerpted:
2
3 > as a separate thread from my last message, I would like to pose a
4 > question.
5 >
6 > When should ewarns vs news items be used to inform users about changes?
7 > I'm not asking for a policy, just thoughts about when one or the other
8 > should be used.
9
10 1) New items, unlike ewarns, tend to be high visibility, available BEFORE
11 the install, warn-once.
12
13 2) We have far more complaints about not enough news items than about too
14 many. (Have there been /any/ complaints about too many? This point has
15 been made by others in previous news item guidance threads.)
16
17 3) Ewarns, by contrast, are too common, too noisy, and too often
18 repeated, thus they are all too often ignored. (The new I think it's
19 eclass support for what amounts to a warn-once, then put it in a
20 readme.gentoo or whatever, I forgot the details, should eventually help
21 here, but it's likely to be awhile, given old habits on both the dev and
22 user sides and the existing noisy ewarn environment.)
23
24 4) The fact that news items have a far more formal approval process than
25 ewarns, involving far more people than just the maintainer that an ewarn
26 involves, is a naturally limiting factor.
29 5) Following from the above four points, an informal guideline of if in
30 doubt as the maintainer and you're willing to deal with the additional
31 hassle of a news item, do it, seems reasonable. If we ultimately see too
32 many of them, there's going to be push-back either at the user level or
33 at the pre-approval list-posting level, but at least here I've seen
34 absolutely zero evidence of that so far, rather to the contrary, so the
35 danger seems to remain in too few rather than too many news items.
36
37 6) Obviously changes in system-critical packages are more likely to
38 warrant priority news items than some corner-case that neither the system
39 nor any other package depends on. However, keep in mind that the
40 display-if-installed and other limiting headers dramatically limit the
41 "doesn't apply to me" noise-factor of news items, so provided these
42 limiting headers are used as intended, even narrow-interest-package
43 maintainers can be more liberal with news items, since only those to whom
44 it applies should be notified about it in the first place.
47 For the specific case in question, we're talking openrc and nfs. Given
48 openrc's central nature on a default gentoo system, how broken a system
49 can be if a boot service isn't configured correctly, and the above "if in
50 doubt, news-item-it" guideline, IMO a new item for pretty much any major
51 change might be considered. Certainly this one for nfs, since it could
52 break bootup for those affected if they don't pay attention.
53
54 To give it some concrete numbers, given the broken-boot consequences of a
55 user's failure to act on many things openrc, if there's change enough to
56 support it, I don't believe even several openrc related news items a
57 year, even 1-2/quarter on average, would be too many.
58
59 Tho of course as openrc maintainer, the additional hassle factor you'll
60 experience pushing all those extra news items thru the approval process
61 counts too, and if you'd rather deal with the bug reports and simply
62 point them at the ewarns and say there's the warning, if it's broken
63 because you didn't read it, you get to keep the pieces, qa or no qa, I
64 can't imagine most responsible developers /or/ users disagreeing. You're
65 the maintainer and it's your time either way, pushing the news items or
66 dealing with the bugs, and as long as that remains the case, you decide.
67 =:^)
72 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman