From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: making sysvinit optional
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2019 00:17:35
1 On Wed, Jul 10, 2019 at 8:03 PM William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Wed, Jul 10, 2019 at 07:30:57PM -0400, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
4 > > On 7/10/19 7:16 PM, William Hubbs wrote:
5 > > > 3. add a sysvinit use flag to openrc, which will be off by default. When
6 > > > it is on, openrc will block sysvinit since it will provide /sbin/init
7 > > > and /sbin/shutdown.
8 > > >
9 > >
10 > > This logic, or maybe the name of the flag, sounds backwards to me. I
11 > > only get sysvinit when USE=sysvinit is NOT set?
12 >
13 > If you don't set sys-apps/openrc[sysvinit], you would have /sbin/init
14 > and /sbin/shutdown as they are now, from sys-apps/sysvinit.
17 Systemd already has IUSE=+sysv-utils which has a similar function:
18 [- ] sysv-utils
19 sys-apps/systemd: Install sysvinit compatibility symlinks and
20 manpages for init, telinit, halt, poweroff, reboot, runlevel, and
21 shutdown
22
23 RDEPEND="sysv-utils? ( !sys-apps/sysvinit )
24 !sysv-utils? ( sys-apps/sysvinit )"
25
26 sysv-utils seems like a generic enough flag and I'd suggest that it
27 would be appropriate to use for openrc as well if it can install its
28 own implementation of these tools.
29
30 (For those who aren't aware, systemd is compatible with the sysvinit
31 versions of these tools, so you can run systemd with sysvinit
32 installed.)
35 Rich