From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: virtual/libcrypt for libcrypt.so implementation
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2019 20:28:45
1 On Thu, 2019-11-07 at 11:52 -0800, Patrick McLean wrote:
2 > Given glibc upstream's tentative plans to remove libcrypt [1], I think
3 > we should start working out the kinks well in advance. Toolchain has
4 > already added a package.use.force-ed "crypt" USE flag to
5 > sys-libs/glibc-2.30-r2 [2]. The main alternative out there is libxcrypt,
6 > which I have recently bumped and added a package.use.mask-ed "system"
7 > USE flag to make it provide the "system" version of libcrypt.so.
8 >
9 > To give us time to work out dependencies in advance, I would like to
10 > propose a virtual to provide libcrypt.so, and we can gradually update
11 > all users of libcrypt to {R,}DEPEND on this virtual.
12 >
13 > Maybe once this is in place and the obvious/common packages are
14 > updated, we could request a tinderbox run to flush out what was missed.
15
16 Are you planning to use backwards-compatible .so.1 version of libxcrypt,
17 or do you plan to switch to .so.2?
21 > [1] https://sourceware.org/git/?p=glibc.git;a=blob;f=NEWS;h=50479f17c9a3a5ef074dafa3f23aca954b82bd6a;hb=HEAD#l768
22 > [2] https://bugs.gentoo.org/699422
25 Best regards,