From: Matti Bickel <mabi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [git migration] The problem of ChangeLog generation
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 16:33:38
1 Alec Warner wrote:
2 > On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 9:12 AM, Matti Bickel <mabi@g.o> wrote:
3 >> Nirbheek Chauhan wrote:
4 >>> From my PoV, editing ChangeLog is like editing history. Complete no-no.
5 >> It is possible in all major SCMs for a reason. And I (as a user) would
6 >> laugh at Changelog entries saying "um, I got that bug number wrong, it
7 >> is really #1234". If I (as a developer) log such edits, I'm wasting my
8 >> users time.
9 >
10 > Its not possible in perforce once your change has been submitted.
11
12 Oh, missed that one. Maybe that makes perforce more "auditble" or whatnot.
13
14 I rather like the changelogs auto-generated. A method to link my git
15 commit to bugzie would be awesome. I *do* envy debian and others for the
16 auto bughandling they have. Previewing more than a raw number would also
17 reduce (not eliminate) the errors committed, i guess.