From: Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Move x86/amd64 CPU extensions USE flags to a new USE_EXPAND variable
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 05:05:09
1 On Sun, 12 Dec 2010 13:09:08 -0500
2 ross smith <rjsm@×××××.edu> wrote:
3
4 > Perhaps something along the lines of: If CPU_FLAGS is empty or not defined,
5 > set flags based on the -march and -mtune variables. If CPU_FLAGS is set,
6 > respect what has been set there and ignore the other logic for defaults.
7
8 -march flags are the lowest common denominator for an architecture. For
9 example, core2 enables MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, and SSSE3 while a Core i7
10 processor also supports SSE4.1, SSE4.2, and AES instructions. It might be
11 useful to use -march as a base and leave it up to the user to set any
12 additional flags, but I don't see how that is any different than what we have
13 now.
14
15 In addition it would require us to maintain accurate mappings of what -march
16 enables what flags and deal with the fact that these flags may not exist
17 between gcc versions. It also falls apart with -march=native.
20 fonts, gcc-porting, it makes no sense how it makes no sense
21 toolchain, wxwidgets but i'll take it free anytime
22 @ gentoo.org EFFD 380E 047A 4B51 D2BD C64F 8AA8 8346 F9A4 0662