From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoostats, SoC 2011
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 12:21:17
1 On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 6:48 AM, Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o> wrote:
2 > It has to be opt-in as opt out would be a dangerous precendent to set.
3 >
4 > I don't see any harm is a gentle reminder message from emerge, provided
5 > that the reminder can be turned off too, if the user really does not
6 > want to opt in. Thats no worse than being nagged about unread news.
7
8 I tend to agree, the more I think about it.
9
10 The simplest solution (which doesn't require any portage mods/etc), is
11 to simply make this a package that installs the appropriate logic in
12 cron.daily, and we send out a news item encouraging users to install
13 it voluntarily. If the user does nothing, they don't get the package.
14
15 If somebody can come up with really good reason that we should be more
16 aggressive in promoting it, then we can promote it more aggressively.
17 That /might/ go as far as a forced opt-in/out decision. However, the
18 more I think about it the more I'm concerned with pure opt-out by
19 default.
20
21 The big issue with opt-out is privacy law - especially in Europe
22 (that's leaving aside just being up-front with users). We'd end up
23 having to have EULAs or such and perhaps a number of other legal
24 controls, and I don't think that is a direction that we want to go in.
25 I'm just not seeing the upside - better to just figure out good ways
26 to use data that is easy and safe to obtain first.
27
28 Earlier somebody suggested that this decision wasn't really in the
29 domain of the Council/Trustees. I'm not sure I agree here - any kind
30 of opt-out data collection is something that has potential legal
31 ramifications as well as huge reputation concerns for the distro (the
32 software is distributed from Foundation-owned hardware utilizing a
33 Foundation-owned domain name and the data goes back to
34 Foundation-owned hardware - I'm sure any lawyer could make a case for
35 this). Just because there isn't a policy written down somewhere
36 doesn't mean that we can't use common sense. Devs certainly don't
37 need to run everything past the Council, but if you want to do
38 something high-profile post it on -dev, and if there is an uproar look
39 for an official second opinion before doing it.
40
41 Rich