From: Richard Yao <ryao@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Using emerge-webrsync to simplify the handbook
Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2012 08:45:33
1 On 11/30/2012 12:30 PM, Alec Warner wrote:
2 > How about we not change the docs until someone eagerly implements all
3 > the stuff you just said?
4 >
5 > Note that from an infra POV our existing system works fairly well and
6 > requires no day-to-day tinkering.
7 > I'm always happy to consider new options, but work needs to put in to
8 > make it feasible. I'm sure if we switched to http with zsync or
9 > something, we could make it feasible. I want to see a prototype, etc.
10 >
11 > -A
12
13 The initial suggestion was to use emerge-webrsync to fetch the initial
14 portage snapshot, which requires no code changes.
15
16 A suggestion was made in response was that we should take this a step
17 further by using emerge-webrsync for everything. I feel that the code
18 needs improvements before it can formally replace `emerge --sync` as our
19 recommended way of updating the tree. Others seem to agree.
20
21 That does not impact our ability to use emerge-webrsync to fetch the
22 initial snapshot in the handbook, which is my original suggestion.