From: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
To: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo theming during bootup
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 22:30:22
1 Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On Thursday 06 April 2006 22:26, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
3 >> I've got some back-burner work on unified Gentoo theming for grub,
4 >> bootsplash, gdm/kdm [1]. (IOW, I spent a day doing research 2 months ago
5 >> and forgot about it until yesterday.) It's currently possible to have a
6 >> really awesome bootup, but it's quite a bit of work to configure and I
7 >> want to make it trivially easy.
8 >
9 > can you post the .xpm for use with grub-0.xx for me to check out ?
10
11 Don't have one designed yet, this is all still in the planning stages.
12
13 But gimp can trivially take any image, reduce it to 15 colors using a
14 smart algorithm and save as xpm so feel free to use whatever you want
15 till then.
16
17 >> I also share the opinion that we shouldn't go against upstream wishes
18 >> IRT branding, but if upstream encourages some fairly subtle branding
19 >> along with keeping their name visible, I'm for it.
20 >
21 > grub-0.xx has no upstream theme ... unless you count like white text on a
22 > black background "a theme"
23
24 Exactly, that's the point. Places without themes are great places to
25 provide ours, since we aren't really overriding anything.
26
27 Thanks,
28 Donnie