From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] About forcing rebuilds of other packages issue
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2012 18:38:17
On Wed, 06 Jun 2012 20:30:52 +0200
Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o> wrote:
> > > Also, how could this be handled in dbus-glib side? I mean, would > > > we need to update dbus-glib update from RDEPENDing on glib:2.30 to > > > glib:2.32? :O > > > > Noooooo. You'd use := dependencies, possibly with a >= constraint. > > But, what would occur if we have three slots (for example gtk+), and > app needs to RDEPEND on slot 2? How would we set it to use every 2.* > SLOT and not >=2?
Then you'd need range dependencies.
> Also, what is the reason to try to skip "ABI_SLOT" way?
No-one's ever implemented it, or knows how it works, or knows what exactly it's supposed to do. The only advantage ABI_SLOT has is that we don't know what its limitations are, other than that it doesn't solve any new problems (although it might slightly simplify certain specific cases, maybe). -- Ciaran McCreesh