From: Seemant Kulleen <seemant@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Resignation (was: Project Sunrise resumed)
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 04:25:12
1 On Sun, 2006-07-30 at 23:50 -0400, Brett I. Holcomb wrote:
2 > My concern is beyond me. As I stated I know enough about what to expect IF I
3 > use sunrise. But many do not and with it becoming official people figure
4 > it's gentoo and when it breaks Gentoo suffers. Gentoo has a reputation as a
5 > good solid, stable distro. As user and big fan of Gentoo I'm concerned - why
6 > couldn't sunrise have stayed unoffical like BMG. Why does it have to be
7 > official? Gentoo can choose to do what it feels is right and I will do the
8 > same.
9
10 BMG has, from day 1, been marginalised in the Gentoo community. I
11 always fancied that they should've been folded into the larger Gentoo
12 projects and become what Sunrise is today. The way I read you, your
13 fear is based on the possibility of some future perception by an unknown
14 number of people. Sunrise's idea is that stuff gets checked and
15 re-checked and remains accessible -- have you read through their site
16 and their commit histories and changesets? They're not exactly
17 dawdling.
18
19 As for Gentoo's reputation, I'm actually pleasantly surprised to hear it
20 characterised that way :) If it has that reputation, then it will
21 actually take a lot to break that. I'm surprised that ~keywords didn't
22 already break it. I agree that the official portage tree is a QA
23 nightmare. Sunrise seems to be nipping that nightmare for a future date
24 -- ie by allowing people to commit and perform peer reviews, they're
25 grooming the next generation of developers to look at QA from the
26 outset, instead of as an afterthought.
27
28 > I answered only because someone asked for user's concerns well this is mine
29 > and you all can do with the input as you please without any hard feelings on
30 > my part.
31
32 It's an exchange of ideas, there shouldn't be hard feelings on anyone's
33 part.
37 Seemant Kulleen <seemant@g.o>
38 Gentoo Foundation / Gentoo Linux
41 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list