From: Eray Aslan <eras@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFD: EAPI specification in ebuilds
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2012 16:34:11
1 On Fri, Mar 09, 2012 at 08:15:11AM -0800, Zac Medico wrote:
2 > They may or may not have issues. Our goal is to minimize our
3 > vulnerability to these kinds of issues as much as possible. Being able
4 > to obtain the ebuild EAPI without the expense of sourcing it is one
5 > small step toward this goal.
6
7 EAPI is metadata and is best treated as such. In other words, history
8 aside, it does not belong inside an ebuild. Making EAPI info part of
9 the filename does look like a reasonable solution - similar to
10 seen/replied flags in the filenames in maildir directories. Heck, even
11 version numbers in an ebuild filename is similar.
12
13 I don't understand why there is a strong objection to it.
14
15 But anyway, it is Friday night and I am out of here. Have fun.
18 Eray Aslan <eras@g.o>