From: Iain Craig <iain@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Experiences with rc5: emerge clobbering its own config, depmod & emerge screaming, BitchX symlink error
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2001 09:57:15
1 Hi guys,
2
3 Apologies if any of this has been covered previously. This is just my
4 problem list when installing rc5, which is otherwise wonderful.
5
6 1. First off, "emerge rsync" appears to clobber /etc/make.conf and
7 /etc/make.globals. Admittedly my CONFIG_PROTECT was "", allowing such a
8 clobber, but the clobber reset my CONFIG_PROTECT to the default; I think
9 this is by design but is slightly annoying.
10
11 2. Depmod -a always shouts about unresolved symbols in all modules, although
12 the modules still work fine. From #gentoo I gather this is a known problem
13 with rc5, and doesn't stop anything working.
14
15 3. After an emerge I get a warning about all missing info files. Again, I
16 believe this is a known issue that doesn't stop things working.
17
18 4. BitchX installation creates incorrect symlink. Following "emerge
19 bitchx-1.0.18-r2.ebuild", the link /usr/bin/BitchX pointed to something
20 non-existant, instead of the correct /usr/bin/BitchX-1.0c18. Unfortunately I
21 can't remember where precisely it did link as I've already pointed it to
22 where it should be. My setting were default USE flags, CONFIG_PROTECT="",
23 CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu", CFLAGS="-mcpu=i686 -march=i686 -O3 -pipe",
24 CXXFLAGS="-mcpu=i686 -march=i686 -O3 -pipe"
25
26 Hope this helps. Great work folks, I love the OS.
27
28 Brgrds,
29 Iain C