From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Discontinuing LibreSSL support?
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2020 11:08:38
1 On Wed, 2020-12-30 at 11:41 +0100, m1027 wrote:
2 > mgorny:
3 >
4 > > On Tue, 2020-12-29 at 16:12 +0100, Toralf Förster wrote:
5 > > > On 12/29/20 2:57 PM, m1027 wrote:
6 > > > > - removing libressl, installing openssl, maybe wget then, followed
7 > > > >    by the rest?
8 > > > remove is sufficient b/c emerge then immediately advices a
9 > > > @preserved-rebuild - at least that's the way it works here at the
10 > > > tinderbox (in the opposite direction FWIW)
11 > > >
12 > >
13 > > I'm not sure if you meant it but it reads as if you were talking about
14 > > removing the package. This is incorrect.
15 > >
16 > > You need to disable the USE flag and then --changed-use (or --newuse)
17 > > rebuild everything with the flag. If the depgraph is clean, emerge
18 > > should happily trigger the rebuild along with automatic replacement of
19 > > dev-libs/libressl with dev-libs/openssl.
20 > >
21 > > However, it's a good idea to run the same command with --fetchonly
22 > > first, to make sure that all distfiles are in place, in case wget got
23 > > broken in the process.
24 >
25 > It might not be the place to discuss emerge dependency details here,
26 > take it as some initial feedback on the transition from libressl to
27 > openssl.
28 >
29 > The general way to go seems indeed:
30 >
31 > - remove libressl from USE flags, also adjusting curl_ssl
32 > - initial emerge ... --fetchonly: to my surprise not always required
33 > - emerge -autDUN @world
34 > - finally the usual @preserved-rebuild
35
36 I'm surprised this is necessary. -N should have rebuilt everything,
37 unless:
38
39 1) you had some packages installed that are no longer in @world
40 depgraph, or
41
42 2) packages have automagic dependencies.
43
44 If you see things like this, it's worth investigating and reporting
45 bugs if it's 2.
46
47 > - On some systems another @world update revealed again a lot
48 > - This also worked over ssh
49 >
50 > The systems I tried so far
51 >
52 > - 2x Gnome desktop systems, close to the USE defaults, went smoothly
53 > - 1x Raspberry Pi over ssh: still working, ;-) okay so far
54 > - 1x Developer system with some smaller issues
55 >
56 > The issues I had:
57 >
58 > - hostapd: when with +internal-tls, some build issue with
59 >   libtommath; when with -internal-tls it required openssl -bindist;
60 >   I did not investigate, just uninstalled hostapd yet
61 >
62 > - openssl+bind+openssh: conflict triggered to do +/-bindist for
63 >   openssl; solution was -bindist everywhere (see other posts on
64 >   bindist already)
65
66 As mentioned somewhere else in this thread, USE=bindist is going to be
67 revisited in the next few days, since some significant patents expire
68 by 2021.
72 Best regards,
73 Michał Górny