From: Philip Webb <purslow@×××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] IBM article of interest ?
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 11:25:32
1 080717 Josh Saddler wrote:
2 > Philip Webb wrote:
3 >> There remains an error in the IBM page above & the Gentoo doc version,
4 >> ie the URL given for 'Gentoo Technologies Inc' is 'www.gentoo.org'.
5 >> Whether the author still maintains GTI in New Mexico isn't clear
6 >> (there's another 'GTI' in Blacksburg VA , which makes databases etc),
7 >> but even if so, its Internet site is not the same as Gentoo Foundation's:
8 >> this needs to be corrected by the maintainer of Gentoo docs & by IBM.
9 >> One would also assume that the author has a more direct e-address
10 >> than the forwarding address at Gentoo still given in the article
11 >> & the personal details seem to be 8 years old (eg "new baby"):
12 >> those also would better be updated or deleted.
13 >> In contrast with traditional printed media -- press or advertising --
14 >> the Internet is often less precise & therefore can be seriously
15 >> misleading: there is a lot of out-of-date information lying around
16 >> & no-one to take responsibility for it.
17 > these articles are snapshots of how things used to be.
18 > We don't need to wipe out everything that's old, do we?
19 > Why not leave the information there so people can get some history?
20
21 Neither an e-mail address nor an Internet URL is "some history":
22 they are a means of contacting a person & a link to a site
23 & as such they should be upto-date or deleted.
24
25 > What if people don't want more recent information shared
26 > and don't want a new email for all to see?
27
28 In that case, as I said in my previous message, they should be deleted.
29
30 > Seriously, nothing needs to be done on the IBM side, nor on ours.
31 > It's not an issue. please just let it go.
32
33 Well, I have much more important things to do today (smile),
34 but you are missing the point. Any newspaper or magazine editor knows
35 that when they reprint an article, some details may need updating
36 or at least a clear disclaimer needs adding to warn readers
37 that "This article was first published in 2000 & is reprinted as was".
38 In the current case neither IBM nor Gentoo docs has done either.
42 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb : purslow@××××××××××××××.ca
43 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Centre for Urban & Community Studies
44 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' University of Toronto
45 --
46 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list