From: ross girshick <rossgir@×××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: (FS) Attributes for Ebuilds?
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2003 21:52:50
1 Michael,
2
3 I've actually already implemented something like this for a school
4 project. I built a metadata "database" on top of file system using ext2
5 and extended attributes. I modified the ext2 kernel module and built two
6 userspace utils for getting and setting the metadata. I also patched
7 portage to set the metadata when installing packages. While designing and
8 building this system I ran into a number practical issues, such as
9 extended attributes are currently only allowed 1 block on disk. Because of
10 this I use a lot of hashing tricks and only store 32bit integers on disk.
11 My user space utils translate between ascii names and integers. My basic
12 goal was to distribute the portage database through the file system so
13 that disk the database represents the actual state of the disk, rather
14 than the state at the time you emerged something. This allows for packages
15 to have files added and removed, while not accumulating cruft over time.
16
17 Rather than going into too much detail, I suggest that you read the paper
18 that I wrote on it. I haven't had time to get organized, but I can make
19 the source code available soon too. If anyone is interested in working on
20 it please let me know.
21
22 The paper:
23 http://people.brandeis.edu/~rossgir/pkgman.ps
24
25 cheers,
26 ross
27
28 p.s. it should be noted that this project was my first adventure into
29 kernel programming, so it's quite amateurish and could use the guide of a
30 wise sage :).
34 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list