From: Rob C <hyakuhei@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] About testing applications
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 09:55:08
1 On 19/03/07, Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Monday 19 March 2007, Seemant Kulleen wrote:
4 > > On Mon, 2007-03-19 at 03:38 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
5 > > > what is the problem as you see it ? the nice thing about having a
6 > > > ~/.config/ is that it's a directory that can obviously be added to
7 > > > backups or sync programs for keeping $HOME the same across multiple
8 > > > machines ... you dont have to worry about having to filter large crap
9 > > > like cache files, temporary files, etc...
10 > >
11 > > Strictly speaking, it should probably be ~/.etc/ in keeping with the
12 > > rest of the filesystem naming scheme.
13 >
14 > yeah, a mini mirror of / would be neat ... that way you could cleanly
15 > differentiate between etc/ and var/lib/ and var/tmp/ and tmp/ and ...
16 >
17 > but i guess this is something to be discussed to death on freedesktop.org;)
18 > -mike
21 Like many things in life, I think the use of ~/.config is ideal but
22 generally unworkable. There is no real reason not to use it.
23 Compartmentalisation and segmentation of file structures is the whole
24 paradigm on which any FS is based.
25
26 However my reason for hating ~/.<app> configurations is that the GTK file
27 chooser dialog lists these "hidden" directories in its standard usage, which
28 makes scrolling through 30-40 lines of directories an unnecessary PITA for
29 every time I want to Save/Open a file.
30
31 [Note, Where I have used ~/.config substitute in the relevant XDG standard
32 env.]
33
34 Just my two Centimes.
35