From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Agenda [WAS: One-Day Gentoo Council Reminder for June]
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 10:25:12
1 On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 15:48:53 +0530
2 "Nirbheek Chauhan" <nirbheek.chauhan@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > PMS is supposed to be a specification which is as close to Gentoo's
4 > Official Package manager's behaviour as possible while (preferably)
5 > leaving out deprecated behaviour. But right now you're saying:
6 >
7 > "We're writing a spec that's somewhat like Portage, but where it
8 > breaks Paludis, we prefer to get Portage to change it's behaviour
9 > instead. Don't crib about this however. We could just have easily have
10 > created a whole new spec which broke Portage completely."
11 >
12 > I hope everyone realises just how ridiculous this is.
13
14 No, we're saying:
15
16 "There are some things that Portage does that're so obviously weird or
17 wrong that it's impossible to document that behaviour in a standard, so
18 occasionally we'll have to consider Portage to have bugs."
19
20 > PS: An example of something in PMS that is different from Portage:
21 > inline comments are disallowed. The only reason I can think for doing
22 > this is to not make Paludis change it's behaviour.
23
24 Did you check whether Portage that's included in current Gentoo
25 releases supports inline comments in profiles?
28 Ciaran McCreesh